Zuma hands over District Six houses

first_img15 February 2011President Jacob Zuma has handed over 44 houses to residents in Cape Town’s historic District Six suburb, in an ongoing process to give proper housing to the victims of apartheid’s forced removals.Zuma, who attended the “Second Homecoming” ceremony on Friday, said that the handover was testimony that the government’s land reform and restitution process was “yielding results”.“District Six in Cape Town, like Sophiatown in Johannesburg, Umkhumbane (Cato Manor) in Durban, and Marabastad in Pretoria, bear the heart-wrenching scars of the apartheid system,” Zuma said. “We always promise and always come around to fulfil it . it has taken time, but we have come around to fulfil the promise . the time for healing has come.”Minister in the Presidency Trevor Manuel, Minister of Rural Development and Land Reform Gugile Nkwinti and Minster of Human Settlements Tokyo Sexwale were some of the government officials who attended the event.‘A life of dignity’Manuel, who grew up in the area, said that the restitution process should be speeded up. He said that the claimants wanted “a life of dignity” and that the government “should hurry up on District Six”.Nkwinti said that funds had been made available for phase two of the project, but that phase three “was a challenge”.He said that he had met Western Cape Premier Helen Zille and they had agreed that the people of District Six needed the cooperation between the national and provincial government.Applied ‘over 20 years ago’One of the beneficiaries, Yusuf Kader, 50, whose family was removed from the area when he was aged seven, said that coming back was a way of “restoring the dignity of our parents”.Getting a house there had not been easy, he said, indicating that he first applied for it over 20 years ago “and the papers got lost and we had to apply again in 1995”.Kader, who lives in Athlone, said that he expected to move into his three-bed-roomed house in the next three months.He said that the houses were being subsidised by the government and beneficiaries would pay between R190 000 and R250 000 depending on the size of the unit.Source: BuaNewslast_img read more

Read more →

Cape Town night sky tops at photo contest

first_imgCape Town photographer Eric Nathan’s shot of the Mother City at night has earned him the top prize at the International Earth & Sky Photo Contest. But it also points out the effect light pollution has on our skies and the need to reclaim and reconnect with the stars. Eric Nathan’s image of Cape Town at night has earned the photographer worldwide acclaim. His image beat 839 entries to claim top prize at the International Earth & Sky Photo Contest. Click image to view in larger resolution. (Image: Eric Nathan) Staff writerWhen Cape Town photographer Eric Nathan stood at the top of Lion’s Head on a cold June night and snapped the Mother City, he would not have thought the image would garner worldwide attention. Yet it has done exactly that.The photograph Nathan titled Star trails above Table Mountain has earned him first prize in the 2015 International Earth & Sky Photo Contest, beating 839 other entries. It also took top spot in the Against the Lights category. But apart from these accolades, the success of Nathan’s image is in showing the effects of light pollution and that we need to reconnect with the stars we have lost to artificial light.The competition is hosted by photographic institution The World at Night (TWAN) and Dark Skies Awareness Project, which looks to preserve natural sites that are important to astronomical studies.Nathan, who lives between the Cape Town and London, would have taken more than seven hours to produce the image as it is a stack of over 900 30-second exposures.The image shows just how artificial light has come to dominate the natural world, with Table Mountain framed by the southern areas to the left and the exclusive beachside suburbs of Camps Bay to the right.According to TWAN, the images selected as winners were most effective in showing how important and delicate the starry sky is, and how bad the problem of light pollution has become. “Today, most city skies are virtually devoid of stars. Light pollution is not only a major waste of energy, it also obscures the stars, disrupts ecosystems and has adverse health effects.”TWAN founder and contest chair, Babak Tafreshi, said the contest’s goal was to present the night sky in this context and encourage us to preserve and reconnect with it. “The sky above us is an essential part of our nature, a heritage for us and other species on this planet.”View the rest of the 2015 International Earth & Sky Photo Contest entries:last_img read more

Read more →

Search War: Yahoo! Opens Its Search Engine to Attack Google With An Army of Verticals

first_imgYahoo! is taking a bold step tonight: opening up its index and search engine to any outside developers who want to incorporate Yahoo! Search’s content and functionality into search engines on their own sites. The company that sees just over 20% of the searches performed each day believes that the new program, called BOSS (Build Your Own Search Service), could create a cadre of small search engines that in aggregate will outstrip their own market share and leave Google with less than 50% of the search market.It’s an ambitious and exciting idea. It could also become very profitable when Yahoo! later enables the inclusion of Yahoo! search ads on sites using the BOSS APIs. BOSS will include access to Yahoo! web, news and image searches.Partner RelationshipsWebsites wishing to leverage the BOSS APIs will be allowed to can blend in their own ranking input and change the presentation of results. There are no requirements for attribution to Yahoo! and there’s no limit on the number of queries that can be performed.At launch Yahoo! BOSS will see live integrations with at least three other companies. Hakia will integrate their semantic parsing with the Yahoo! index and search, social browser plug-in Me.dium will use the data it’s collected to offer a social search tied to the Yahoo! index, and real-time sentiment search engine Summize was included in the BOSS demo – augmenting Yahoo News search results with related Twitter messages. More extensive customization and integration with large media companies will be performed with assistance from Yahoo! and ad-free access to the APIs will be made available to the Computer Science departments of academic institutions.Me.dium captures 20m URLs daily and will use BOSS to show social relevance in addition to link-weight in search.Does Anyone Really Care About Niche Vertical Search Engines?We asked Yahoo! just that, although we believe that alternative search engines can be pretty exciting. None the less, we think it’s a valid question. Senior Director of the Open Search Platform, Bill Michels told us that niche search engines often aren’t very good because they have access to a very limited index of content. It’s expensive to index the whole web. Likewise, Michels said that there are a substantial number of large organizations that have a huge amount of content but don’t have world-class search technology. In both cases, Yahoo! BOSS is intended to level the playing field and blow the Big 3 wide open. We agree that it’s very exciting to imagine thousands of new Yahoo! powered niche search engines proliferating. Could Yahoo! plus the respective strengths and communities of all these new players challenge Google? We think they could.What’s Not Included?The BOSS APIs are in beta for now, so they may be expanded with time – but for now there are still a few crown jewels in the company’s plans that won’t be opened up. We asked about Yahoo’s indexing of the semantic web and were told that would not be a part of BOSS. We asked about the Inbox 2.0 strategy and the company’s plans to rewire for social graph and data portability paradigms. We were told that those were “other programs.” We hope that there’s not a fundamental disconnect there that will lead to lost opportunities and a lack of focus. It is clear, though, that BOSS falls well within the company’s overall technical strategy of openness. When it comes to web standards, openness and support for the ecosystem of innovation – there may be no other major vendor online as strong as Yahoo! is today. These are times of openness, where some believe that no single vendor’s technology and genius alone can match the creativity of an empowered open market of developers. Yahoo! is positioning itself as leader of this movement.Let’s see what they can do with an army of Yahoo! powered search engines. Let the games begin! Related Posts marshall kirkpatrick Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic…center_img Tags:#Analysis#Features#search#web A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Marketlast_img read more

Read more →

Indiana ~ Corporate Income Tax: Alternative Three-Factor Apportionment Formula Not Allowed

first_imgCCH Tax Day ReportAn out-of-state corporation (taxpayer) that manufactures and sells tobacco products across the United States was not permitted to utilize an alternative income apportionment formula because it failed to prove that the Indiana statutory apportionment formula did not fairly represent its income derived from sources within Indiana. The taxpayer argued that the majority of its income generating activity primarily occurred outside Indiana and, therefore, it filed an amended 2013 return utilizing the three factor apportionment formula. The taxpayer provided a third party economic analysis and a “separate accounting” analysis to show that Indiana’s statutory apportionment formula does not fairly represent the taxpayer’s Indiana income. However, the analyses were not sufficient to prove that the three factor apportionment formula would more accurately reflect its Indiana income. Therefore, the department concluded that Indiana’s statutory apportionment formula fairly represents the taxpayer’s Indiana income.Letter of Findings No. 02-20160014, Indiana Department of Revenue, February 22, 2017, ¶402-557last_img read more

Read more →

10 months agoGuardiola: Man City a better team than last season

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Guardiola: Man City a better team than last seasonby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City boss Pep Guardiola is adamant they’re a better team than last season.Champions City are involved in a tight title race with Liverpool this season, but Guardiola thinks his side have improved from a year ago. “In little details we are better than last season, which is normal because we have more time together,” he told Sky Sports.Asked how City have improved, Guardiola added: “Our process, our build-ups, our high pressing we can use different movements, we have more alternatives to defend into attack and we are more solid when we defend deeper.”Guardiola also revealed what impressed him most about his side’s title-winning season.”It was our consistency,” he added. Of course we dropped points, that happens, but after that we were always there, which was the most remarkable thing and what I give the most importance.”Winning cups or the Champions League that’s six or seven games where you have to be good, but in the Premier League it can be every three days, which is why it’s the title I like the most.” last_img read more

Read more →

Jenesse Center and Halle Berry to Honor Laphonza Butler President of SEIU

first_imgDomestic violence prevention and intervention organization, Jenesse Center and its long time ambassador Halle Berry are proud to honor Laphonza Butler, President of SEIU Local 2015 at the Imagine cocktail party fundraiser to be held Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 6:30pm – 10pm, at the Wilshire Country Club at 301 N Rossmore Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90004.Laphonza Butler is the President of SEIU Local 2015 – a union uniting the voices of more than 370,000 nursing home and home-care workers throughout California. SEIU Local 2015 is the largest union in California and the largest long-term care local in the country, achieving historic victories – including the passage of the nation’s first $15 statewide minimum wage to improve the lives of over 6 million Californians, for which Butler’s leadership was honored by President Obama.Previously, Butler served for seven years as President of SEIU United Long Term Care Workers (ULTCW), and also as SEIU’s Property Services Division Director in which she was responsible for the strategic direction of the more than 250,000 janitors, security officers, window cleaners, and food service workers across the country.Jenesse CEO Karen Earl said, “When Laphonza Butler became President of SEIU, one of her first events was the Jenesse Silver Rose gala. She came to me after the event and said she wanted to get involved. And involved she has been. She invited Jenesse staff to speak to the SEIU executive board to ensure her members knew that Jenesse was a resource for the thousands of workers who may experience domestic violence, sexual assault and trauma in their homes and in the work place. She champions for laborers, everyday women who are working to make a living for themselves and their families on all quality of life issues, including workplace assault, harassment and rape. Laphonza, has been a consistent resource and advocate for workers who are #metoo survivors in places where they would otherwise never be heard.”“Jenesse Center has been providing over 40 years of life-saving services to some of Los Angeles most vulnerable and marginalized individuals. As the President of one of the largest women’s organizations in the nation – representing 370,000 long-term care workers – I am proud to partner with an organization that works to break the generational cycle of violence and provide survivors with the life-skills needed to live the healthy & full lives that they deserve.”The goal of Imagine is to elevate the conversation around the topic of violence towards women, girls and men and advocate the human right of peace in everyone’s homes, workplaces and relationships.Leaders from business, non profit, media, entertainment and government sectors are invited to attend. The event will shine a light on organizations and individuals who have moved the mission forward to raise funds and bring awareness to the issue, provide funding and relief to survivors and use their voice to stop the cycle of domestic violence.Jenesse Ambassador Halle Berry said, “One in four women will experience domestic violence in their lifetime. This is why for 17 years, I have worked with Jenesse first hand to bring awareness to this life-or-death cause. I am proud of the achievements we have made to heal women, girls and families ravaged by violent homes and relationships.”To learn more about Imagine or Jenesse, visit www.jenesse.org or call 323-299-9496.last_img read more

Read more →

Enbridge Inc reports improved secondquarter earnings amid asset sales

first_imgCALGARY – Pipeline operator Enbridge Inc. reports better-than-expected second-quarter earnings of $1.07 billion, as it worked to sell a number of non-core assets to help eliminate debt.The Calgary-based company’s profit amounted to 63 cents per share and compared with $919 million, or 56 cents per share in the second quarter of 2017. Both quarters included the impact of a number of unusual items.Adjusted earnings came in at 65 cents per share, up from 41 cents in the year-earlier period and beating analysts expectations for 53 cents per share, according to Thomson Reuters Eikon.During the quarter, the company announced agreements to sell $7.5 billion worth of non-core assets, significantly above its original $3 billion target.Enbridge said in May it would gain nearly $3.2 billion by selling renewable power facilities and natural gas gathering and processing assets in the United States.It also received positive news on its Line 3 replacement project, with a Minnesota regulator approving its plan.The company says it is on track to achieve its 2018 guidance and expects about $7 billion worth of new projects to be introduced over the course of 2018, the majority of which will come on line in the second half of the year.last_img read more

Read more →

The Latest CEO fraud charge hammers Teslas stock

first_imgDETROIT – The Latest on efforts by federal regulators to remove Elon Musk from his position as CEO and chairman of Tesla (all times local):5 p.m.Tesla’s stock plunged nearly 14 per cent Friday, wiping out $7 billion in shareholder wealth after government regulators accused Elon Musk of committing securities fraud and sought to oust him as CEO of the electric car maker.It marked the largest one-day decline in Tesla’s shares in nearly five years.The steep decline left Tesla’s stock at $264.77, a 30 per cent drop from where it stood Aug. 7 after Musk tweeted that he had secured funding to finance a buyout at $420.The Securities and Exchange Commission filed a civil complaint late Thursday alleging that Musk made the bold statement even though he hadn’t lined up the estimated $25 billion to $50 billion needed to take Tesla private.The SEC contends Musk should be removed as CEO for his alleged misconduct.___9:45 a.m.According to a person knowledgeable about talks between Tesla and federal securities regulators, CEO Elon Musk rejected a settlement that would have allowed him to pay a small fine and stay on as CEO of the electric car company.The person, who asked not to be identified because the negotiations were private, said Friday that Musk rejected the offer because he didn’t want a blemish on his record.On Thursday the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filed a civil complaint in U.S. District Court in Manhattan seeking to oust Musk and alleging that he committed securities fraud with false statements about plans to take the company private.To stay on as CEO, the person said that Musk would have had to agree to conditions including restrictions on when he could release information publicly.The SEC said in its complaint that Musk falsely claimed in an Aug. 7 tweet that funding had been secured for Tesla Inc. to go private at $420 per share, a substantial premium over the stock price at the time.The SEC now wants a “bar prohibiting Musk from serving as an officer or director of a public company.” It also is asking for an order enjoining Musk from making false and misleading statements along with repayment of any gains as well as civil penalties.Shares tumbled 12 per cent at the opening bell Friday.____9 a.m.The bombshell announcement that federal regulators are seeking to oust Elon Musk as CEO and chairman at Tesla is pushing shares even lower before the opening bell.Tesla and Musk are perceived as inseparable by many investors, with some industry analysts putting his value baked into each Tesla share in excess of $100. That’s a third or more of the value of each share. After a 13 per cent slump before the market opened Friday, Tesla’s stock plunged 13 per cent to $307.52.last_img read more

Read more →