Top tips for when applying vinyls to vehicles

first_imgIt’s necessary to take the greatest care when applying vinyls to vehiclesVehicle graphics specialist RGVA has published a free guide to vinyl wrapping that can save operators thousands of pounds by helping them to avoid sub-standard livery applications.Vinyl wraps and fleetname applications have become part and parcel of the minicoach and minibus industry, and the cost of the material has reduced over recent years.But wraps that are poorly applied or designed badly can have a negative impact on the operator’s brand perception.“We hate to see poor decisions being made about design, materials, printing and the application of graphics,” says RGVA MD Kieran McCabe.“They can significantly cost a business, both financially and in terms of reputational damage. We hope that by sharing our expertise, more businesses will understand how to get vehicle wrapping right.”Your Vehicle Graphics: 12 Tough Questions You Need To Ask gives a comprehensive review of the skills, equipment and experience required to complete a professional job.www.rgva.co.uk/12-tough-questionslast_img read more

Read more →

Third Welsh operator leaves passengers in the lurch…

first_imgThe sudden closure of D Jones & Son of Acrefair, near Llangollen, left passengers without scheduled bus services on Monday, and Wrexham and Denbighshire councils scrabbling over the weekend to cover schools contracts.Some routes, such as the 146 Wrexham-Whitchurch, had no cover. It was previously worked by GHA Coaches of Wrexham and RJs of Wem, both of which went out of business last year.The councils were told by the firm on Saturday (16 December) that it would stop all services at the end of that day.No explanation has been provided. The firm’s website has not been updated and it is not answering enquires.The councils moved quickly to find other operators to cover schools services.The firm ran 13 public routes, plus eight schools services and an hourly Sundays route from Wrexham to HMP Berwyn.It ran 22 buses, mainly Optare Solos and Versas, plus two coaches.Wrexham Council Lead Member for Transport Cllr David Bithell said: “This news came without any prior warning, and the council’s immediate priority is to ensure that statutory contracted education transport is provided. Disruption to local bus services is inevitable.”The firm was a partnership of David and Gary Jones, the son and grandson respectively of Elias Jones who started a bus business in 1968.It expanded by taking over other operators, but in 1995 the original business of E Jones & Sons began a split, with D Jones & Son created.E Jones & Sons, a partnership of John Barry Jones and Gwyn Jones, continues to trade from near Wrexham with a nine-vehicle O-Licence. Ironically, it has picked up one of the schools contracts on emergency from the failed business.last_img read more

Read more →

Winter tour ideas from Albatross

first_imgNew tour ideas include Liverpool’s Beatles Story and British Music ExperienceWholesaler Albatross Travel has launched an extensive selection of new tours and hotels in England, Scotland and Wales in its Winter Tours programme.A series of steam specials include a five-day half-board November break including a trip on the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway and a guided tour and lunch at Muncaster Castle.Indoor attractions include the Eden Project in Cornwall, or a trip to Liverpool packaged as the four-night Fab 4 & British Music Experience.Other ideas include a four-night half-board break in Blackpool with afternoon tea at the Blackpool Tower Ballroom.A Manchester itinerary sees a visit to BBC MediaCity UK for a studio tour, and a fish and chip cruise on the Lancaster Canal.Four new Yuletide of Yesteryear tours take in Victorian Christmas fairs, at Blists Hill, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, Beamish and the Black Country Living Museum.Albatross Travel’s ‘no currency surcharge guarantee’ covers all tours, and it guarantees a free single room for coach drivers.  Visit albatrossgroup.comlast_img read more

Read more →

Southern Wales showcase ‘best yet’

first_imgVicky Jones (left) and Steve Reed with inbound operators at the eventThe fourth annual Southern Wales Showcase was “the best yet,” say its organisers.Held at the National Museum Cardiff at the end of January, the event attracted 30 group-friendly attractions, destinations, hotels and venues from across the region, and a host of group tour buyers, including several inbound operators.Organised by Southern Wales Tourism in conjunction with Steve Reed Tourism, the ‘speed dating’-style event was complemented by a fam visit to various group attractions, including Llanerch Vineyard, the National Roman Legion Museum, Blaenavon World Heritage Centre, Cardiff Castle, Rhondda Heritage Park and Llancaiach Fawr Manor.Mainline Coaches, the Best Western Heronston Hotel in Bridgend and Great Western Railways also supported the event.Vicky Jones, Project Officer for Southern Wales Tourism, says: “The Showcase put buyers of group tours together with the people who wish to have groups visiting them – hotels and attractions. This year we had a great mix of tour buyers, coach and tour operators, group travel organisers and inbound operators too.“And the attractions we visited really put out the red carpet for the attendees – they couldn’t have done better in providing what was a truly memorable experience for all.”Look out for full report in March issue of GT&Tlast_img read more

Read more →

Lucketts driver a step closer to national award

first_imgA coach driver from Fareham-based Lucketts Travel has picked up a top award from National Express.Gordon Hopkins was named as the National Express driver of the month, beating stiff competition from more than 2,000 others across the UK and putting himself in the running to become Driver of the Year.Lucketts MD Tony Lawman says: “This is well-deserved for Gordon, who was chosen due to multiple nominations from his colleagues.“We believe that he is a shining example of what a Lucketts employee should be and we wish him every success in his bid to become Driver of the Year.”Gordon adds: “I’m thrilled to have won driver of the month and would like to thank my peers for their kind nominations. I’m proud to work for such a renowned company and this award is just the icing on the cake.”last_img read more

Read more →

Emergency guidance issued by Senior TC in light of pandemic

first_imgSenior Traffic Commissioner (STC) Richard Turfitt (pictured) has issued temporary updates to several Statutory Documents considering the challenges facing operators during the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic.Mr Turfitt says that TCs “should recognise the exceptional nature of the operating environment during this period of uncertainty.” Financial standing, access to operating centres, Transport Managers (TMs), service registrations and staff shortages are among the subjects addressed.Financial standingUnder the emergency guidance, businesses that cannot meet the appropriate financial standing requirements may apply to a TC for a period of grace. The TC can rely on a satisfactory financial check within the past 12 months to support their approval.When an operator is temporarily unable to access an operating centre due to restrictions, a period of grace may also be applied for.The TC “will wish to be satisfied as to where vehicles will be parked in the alternative,” says Mr Turfitt. It is recognised that during the outbreak, it could be impractical to apply for a new operating centre that may only be required temporarily.Transport ManagersMr Turfitt advises that TCs would not normally be notified of periods of short illness when a TM is unavailable. That includes those resulting from the general symptoms described in the current public health guidance, or absences through a 14-day self-isolation period.However, if a TM is within an at-risk category that more severely limits their ability to attend, they are invited to submit a proposal to the TC on how they will fulfil their requirements during the pandemic. That could include use of technology, says Mr Turfitt.Should a TM develop more acute symptoms, a period of grace may become necessary. If a TM cannot complete required training, they should notify the TC with a request that they amend the undertaking to allow more time to comply.For all cases involving the grant of a period of grace, Mr Turfitt says that TCs should adopt a starting point of four months. That could allow for an extension to six months. It is incumbent on the operator to proactively apply for all grace periods.Service changesWhere operators wish to adjust or suspend services because of reduced demand or staff availability, they are advised to seek short-notice dispensation. Mr Turfitt encourages the use of the variation provision. It can be done via email outlining basic details and including a timetable where relevant.Variations can either be submitted with a defined end date – after which services revert to the original timetable – or with open-ended wording to the effect that they will be in place until whichever is sooner: A defined date or further notice.On condition that the amended service returns to the same timetable that was previously registered, TCs will waive fees for applications that seek to temporarily vary a registration.Where service levels fluctuate from day to day depending on staff availability, Mr Turfitt says that TCs “will take into account the developing situation” when considering the need for any regulatory action.“The guidance allows for a flexible approach to the functions carried out by TCs,” he adds. The document issued last week also includes content relevant to operators that have been called to a Public Inquiry, and drivers that are due at a Driver Conduct Hearing.Advisory document available at bit.ly/2QUoBrx and full emergency guidance available at bit.ly/2WyiOvjlast_img read more

Read more →

Adventure Coachlines kickstarts post-lockdown day trips next month

first_imgNew Adventure Travel (NAT) Group’s coaching arm Adventure Coachlines is launching a series of day trips this half term to help restore confidence in coach travel. The service will start with two excursions to Bath and the Cotswolds in October.NAT Group says it made the decision after public appetite for UK travel increased following the relaxing of travel restrictions.Passengers are to be kept safe through stringent cleaning procedures which meet all Welsh government regulations. The operator is maintaining space between seats, issuing PPE to drivers and making available ‘COVID safety kits’ including hand sanitiser, wipes, gloves and face masks. Temperature checking is being enforced across the whole coaching division.Adventure Coachlines Sales Executive Lauryn Tunnel says: “The last six months have seen immense change within our business, however the coaching arm has been slower to show signs of recovery.“The introduction of our Adventure Coachlines day trips is a significant step in our ambition to return to some kind of ‘business as usual’ and we look forward to welcoming individuals, couples and families aboard to visit some beautiful parts of neighbouring England.”last_img read more

Read more →

Severe weather hits Michiana

first_img Google+ Severe weather hits Michiana Twitter Twitter WhatsApp IndianaLocalMichiganNewsWeather By Jon Zimney – May 27, 2019 0 558 Google+ (Photo supplied/ABC 57) The threat of severe weather turned reality for Michiana on Monday, May 27, as multiple Tornado Warnings were issued for St. Joseph County, as well as Elkhart, LaPorte, Marshall, Starke and Fulton Counties in Indiana and Berrien and Cass Counties in Michigan.The tornado threat hit the region shortly before 5 p.m. in LaPorte County and continued to move eastward toward St. Joseph County.Around 5:15 p.m. our reporting partners at ABC 57 reported a tornado-capable storm in the area of U.S. 20 and State Road 23.95.3 MNC interrupted regular programming for more than two hours and multiple storm cells with rotation resulted in continued Tornado Warnings being issued by the National Weather Service.There was no immediate confirmation that a tornado had struck in St. Joseph County.There were no immediate reports of widespread damage.Power outages in the area were at a minimum, as well, with around 350 Indiana Michigan Power customers left in the dark. NIPSCO reported around 2,000 customers without electricity, but most were in northwestern Indiana. More than 750 people were left without power in the Akron area.Listeners to 95.3 MNC reported high winds, light debris in the air, as well as heavy rain and hail in the area of U.S. 20 and State Road 23.Around 8:05 p.m. the National Weather Service confirmed a large tornado on the ground in Fulton County and issued the following information:The National Weather Service in Northern Indiana has issued a* Tornado Warning for… Northwestern Wabash County in north central Indiana… Eastern Fulton County in north central Indiana… South central Kosciusko County in north central Indiana… North central Miami County in north central Indiana…* Until 830 PM EDT.* At 806 PM EDT, a confirmed large and extremely dangerous tornado was located near Akron, or 11 miles east of Rochester, moving east at 25 mph. This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. TAKE COVER NOW! HAZARD…Damaging tornado. SOURCE…Radar confirmed tornado. IMPACT…You are in a life-threatening situation. Flying debris may be deadly to those caught without shelter. Mobile homes will be destroyed. Considerable damage to homes, businesses, and vehicles is likely and complete destruction is possible.* The tornado will be near… North Manchester around 830 PM EDT.A Tornado Watch remained in effect until 10 p.m. on Monday evening. A Flash Flood Warning remained in effect until 10:30 p.m.I spoke with a woman who was home at the time of the tornado.She is a caretaker for a woman, who lives just before this line of trees restricting access to county residents, hear her story tonight at @ABC57News at 10/11. pic.twitter.com/1yRQW3Fh5L— Kylie Walker (@kylieABC57) May 28, 2019center_img Facebook Facebook WhatsApp Images from Akron, IN, where NWS confirmed a large tornado touched down around 8 p.m.As of now, the amount of damage is unknown. Several trees are blocking access to reports of destroyed homes. pic.twitter.com/CFV6WXOrmu— Kylie Walker (@kylieABC57) May 28, 2019 Pinterest Pinterest Previous articleBenton Township woman, 78, killed in house fireNext articleCelebration set for new Indiana Dunes National Park Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney.last_img read more

Read more →

Ban on drivers using handheld phones clears Indiana House

first_img Twitter Ban on drivers using handheld phones clears Indiana House Pinterest Facebook Google+ Facebook Pinterest WhatsApp WhatsApp IndianaLocalNews By Associated Press – January 30, 2020 0 238 Previous articleIndiana governor signs spending plan for unexpected revenueNext articleSuspects, victim in deadly home invasion in Dowagiac identified Associated PressNews from the Associated Press and its network of reporters and publications. Google+ Photo by Tommie Lee INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The Indiana House has endorsed a proposal that would ban motorists from using handheld cellphones, a step that supporters say is aimed at combating distracted driving.House members voted 86-10 Wednesday in favor of the bill that only permits cellphone use with hands-free technology, except in emergencies.The bill would broaden the state’s current ban on texting while driving that officials have said is unenforceable and doesn’t include actions such as emailing, using apps such as Snapchat or viewing videos.Twenty-one other states already have similar bans.The proposal, which has Republican Gov. Eric Holcomb’s support, now goes to the Senate for consideration. Twitterlast_img read more

Read more →

MEPs to quiz tobacco giant

first_imgAntwerp is considered one of the keys in trying to uncover the routes and devices used to perpetrate such frauds.During its extensive inquiries this year, the committee has heard that between 1988 and 1992, 44 billion American cigarettes were exported annually to the Union. Of these, all but 1 million entered through Antwerp.Last year, the overall figure reached 85 million, of which 71 million came in via the Flemish port. Three million entered the EU through the Netherlands. The remainder used ports in Germany and Finland, both close to the countries of eastern Europe – widely suspected of being staging posts for stolen cigarettes which are then sent back to the Union.“The illegal trade in international cigarettes is a form of unfair competition against national companies and local brands. Antwerp cannot ignore the fact that a large percentage of these stocks of cigarettes will not be sold legally,” said Luk Joossens, an expert on the tobacco industry.The European Confederation of Tobacco Retailers has told the inquiry committee it estimates that the annual cost of the cigarette fraud amounts to 5 billion ecu a year in lost fiscal revenue and 900 million ecu in lost retail profits.It has identified the phenomenon to be most widespreadin Austria, where contraband cigarettes were estimated to make up 15% of the 2 billion cigarettes smoked last year. In Italy the figure was 11.5% and in Germany 10%. The hearing with one of the world’s largest cigarette manufacturers follows a recent visit by the special committee of inquiry to Antwerp to investigate the steps being taken to clamp down on fraud which is costing the EU and member states’ national budgets billions of ecu.“We looked at the docks, the containers, two warehouses for storing cigarettes and spoke to customs officers, investigating magistrates and freight forwarders. The visit helped a lot of the pieces of the jigsaw to fall into place,” explained British Labour MEP John Tomlinson, who is chairing the year-long inquiry.Cigarettes have increasingly become a target for fraudsters as legitimate consignments are diverted on to the black market. As they never reach their intended destinations, the stolen goods avoid excise duties and provide lucrative profits for the criminals involved. Philip Morris will be the second major cigarette manufacturer to appear before the parliamentary inquiry which began in January. MEPs have already heard evidence from Rothmans of Pall Mall International Ltd, which was especially critical of the failure of national authorities to take a tougher and more consistent approach in rooting out the fraud.After listening to next week’s evidence, the committee intends to sift through the information it has received from 16 separate hearings and over 35 written submissions from many different professions, organisations and individuals involved in thetransit trade.By drawing attention to the phenomenon and by investigating the mechanics of the various scams, the committee is convinced it has succeeded in pushing the fight against transit fraud higher up the Union’s agenda.Angered that an already-leaky system was extended to the four Visegrad countries in July, MEPs have also won a pledge from Internal Market Commissioner Mario Monti that no more expansion will be contemplated before badly-needed reforms are in place.British Conservative Euro MP Edward Kellett-Bowman aims to produce a preliminary report setting out possible ways of plugging the holes in the transit system by mid-January.The committee then intends to finalise its recommendations with customs operators before formally presenting them to the full Parliament in March.last_img read more

Read more →