AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInThe ancient Haill Six Incorporated Trades of Kirkcudbright were established in 1425 and have been in continuous existence since that date. Their role in the town has changed dramatically over the years and has mainly been one of a ceremonial body.In the past two years the Trades felt that they had to be more visible in the community of Kirkcudbright. In addition to their ceremonial roles in the Kirkin’ of the Deacon Convener and the Kirkin’ of the Cornet, Riding of the Marches and Remembrance Sunday, the organisation has become more broadly involved in the community.They run a successful Burns Supper annually, enter a lorry in the summer parade and serve burgers at the Tattoo. More recently, they have started to provide support and sponsorship to community events. Sponsorship is provided for the Summer Festivities programme, Food Festival and the famous Buckland Burnup.The Trades are in the process of repairing and renovating the town signs from the three main road entrances to Kirkcudbright and recently participated in a beach clean at Abbeyburn Foot, Dundrennan. The latest ventures are the purchase of bricks for the renovation fund for the former Johnston School, each brick bearing the name of individual trades and the planting of six trees at Castledykes in the town.Deacon Peter Smith had a chance meeting with swimming pool manager Colin Wyper and learned that he was trying to improve the natural environment around the pool exterior. The Incorporated Trades recently planted three Rowan and three Birch trees close by in a semicircle. Again, each tree has been dedicated to individual trades. A formal handover ceremony was held on Friday night with the Deacons present in full ceremonial uniform.